No. 2 Memphis downs No. 5 Georgetown
Chris Douglas-Roberts scored 24 points, Robert Dozier added 19 and No. 2 Memphis beat No. 5 Georgetown 85-71 on Saturday in Memphis, Tenn., extending the nation’s second-longest home winning streak to 37 games.
Freshman guard Derrick Rose had 18 points for Memphis, while Joey Dorsey had 11 points and 13 rebounds. The Tigers improved to 10-0, their best start since winning their first 10 in 2003-2004.
Preseason All-American Roy Hibbert had a season-low six points for Georgetown (8-1). Austin Freeman had 14 points for the Hoyas, while DaJuan Summers had 13 and Patrick Ewing Jr. 10.
(1) North Carolina 105, UC Santa Barbara 70: At Chapel Hill, N.C., Tyler Hansbrough scored 21 points and Marcus Ginyard added a career-high 17 points to lead the Tar Heels (11-0) past the Gauchos (10-2).
The Tar Heels never trailed and led by 20 points at halftime.
(3) Kansas 78, Miami (Ohio) 54: At Lawrence, Kan., Darrell Arthur and Darnell Jackson both had 14 points as the Jayhawks (12-0) became the first team in more than a year to exceed 69 points against the RedHawks (6-5).
Jackson and Sasha Kaun ignited a 13-0 run in the opening minutes, creating a 20-6 lead.
(9) Michigan State 78, (4) Texas 72: At Auburn Hills, Mich., freshman Kalin Lucas scored a career-high 18 points, including an acrobatic layup to ignite a key first-half run, to lead the Spartans (11-1) to a victory over the Longhorns (11-1).
(8) UCLA 69, Michigan 54: At Ann Arbor, Mich., the Wolverines (4-8) led by as many as eight points in the second half, but couldn’t keep up with the Bruins (11-1) down the stretch.
Kevin Love had 17 points and 16 rebounds for UCLA.
(12) Tennessee 72, Xavier 65: At Cincinnati, J.P. Prince scored a career-high 23 points and Tyler Smith led a late surge as the Volunteers (11-1) beat the Musketeers (8-3).
(13) Indiana 73, Coppin State 46: At Bloomington, Ind., D.J. White had 21 points and eight rebounds and Eric Gordon scored 13 of his 15 points in the second half to lead the Hoosiers (10-1) past the Eagles (3-10).
(14) Texas A&M 88, UC Irvine 66: At College Station, Texas, Donald Sloan had 14 points, five rebounds and five assists to lead the Aggies (11-1) past the Anteaters (4-7).
Mississippi 85, (15) Clemson 82: At Guaynabo, Puerto Rico, Dwayne Curtis and Chris Warren both scored 19 points to lead the Rebels (11-0) past the Tigers (10-1) in the matchup of unbeaten teams in the championship game of the San Juan Shootout.
(16) Butler 78, Fla. Gulf Coast 66: At Fort Myers, Fla., A.J. Graves scored 17 points and the Bulldogs (11-1) made 14 of 15 free throws in the final 6:21, finally taking control and pulling away to a victory over the Eagles (3-9).
(17) Vanderbilt 83, Tennessee State 74: At Nashville, Tenn., Shan Foster scored 22 points to lead the Commodores (11-0) past the Tigers (3-7).
Alex Gordon finished with 16 points for Vanderbilt.
(19) Arizona 74, San Diego State 58: At Tucson, Ariz., Jordan Hill had 15 points and 10 rebounds to lead the Wildcats (9-2) past the Aztecs (9-3).
(20) Villanova 72, Columbia 56: At Villanova, Pa., Shane Clark scored 15 points and Scottie Reynolds added 14 to lead the Wildcats (9-1) past the Lions (4-7).
Dante Cunningham added nine points for Villanova.
Oakland, Mich., 68, (23) Oregon 62: At Auburn Hills, Mich., Derick Nelson had 22 points and nine rebounds and the Golden Grizzlies (5-6) stunned the Ducks (8-3).
(24) West Virginia 77, Canisius 54: At Buffalo, N.Y., Joe Alexander scored 20 points and the Mountaineers (10-1) easily delivered coach Bob Huggins his 600th career victory by beating the Golden Griffins (1-10).
(25) USC 78, Cal Poly 55: At Los Angeles, Daniel Hackett scored 19 points, O.J. Mayo added 18 points and a career-high six assists and the Trojans (8-3) defeated the Mustangs (5-6).