January 28, 2007 in Nation/World

Iran issues conflicting reports on centrifuges

Ali Akbar Dareini Associated Press
 

TEHRAN, Iran – An Iranian nuclear agency official has denied claims made by a top lawmaker that the Islamic Republic has begun installing 3,000 centrifuges at a uranium enrichment plant, Iran’s state-run news agency reported late Saturday.

Hossein Simorgh, head of Iran’s Atomic Energy Organization public relations department, said “no new centrifuges have been installed in Natanz,” referring to the nuclear facility in central Iran, the official Islamic Republic News Agency reported.

Earlier Saturday, lawmaker Alaeddin Boroujerdi said Iran was currently installing the 3,000 centrifuges, underlining that the country would continue to develop its disputed nuclear program despite U.N. sanctions.

It was not immediately clear why the two officials made contradicting statements. Iranian officials have in recent weeks said the country was moving toward large-scale enrichment involving 3,000 centrifuges, which spin uranium gas into enriched material.

The U.N. Security Council last month voted unanimously in favor of imposing limited sanctions on Iran after it ignored earlier demands to halt enrichment. Iran faces the prospect of additional sanctions unless it stops enrichment by the end of a 60-day period that ends next month.

Enriched uranium is used to fuel nuclear reactors and to make nuclear weapons, and large scale use of centrifuges makes it possible to produce more enriched uranium in a shorter period.

The United States and its allies believe that Iran is using its nuclear program as a cover to produce an atomic weapon. Iran has repeatedly denied the allegations, saying its program is only for peaceful purposes, including generating electricity.

International Atomic Energy Association head Mohamed ElBaradei said recently he believed Iran planned to begin work in February on a uranium enrichment facility underground. The subterranean facility is intended to protect the nuclear project from attack.

There has been speculation that Iranian leadership might launch the centrifuges’ installation at Natanz next month to celebrate the 28th anniversary of the Islamic Revolution that brought the clerical leadership to power. Iran ultimately plans to expand its program to 54,000 centrifuges.

A senior U.S. State Department official warned Iran against accelerating its atomic program.

“If Iran takes this step, it is going to confront universal international opposition,” Undersecretary of State Nicholas Burns said on Friday. “If they think they can get away with 3,000 centrifuges without another Security Council resolution and additional international pressure, then they are very badly mistaken.”

© Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email