July 17, 2007 in City

Fire chars East Central home

From Staff Reports The Spokesman-Review
 
Brian Plonka photo

A Spokane firefighter checks the inside of a home at the corner of Seventh Avenue and Altamont Street after fire broke out early Monday. Nobody was injured in the blaze.
(Full-size photo)

A Monday morning fire burned the bedroom of an East Central neighborhood house and caused smoke damage throughout.

The Spokane Fire Department responded about 8:40 a.m. to the house at 2329 E. Seventh Ave. with seven engines.

Neighbors told firefighters that the single occupant was inside, but firefighters found no one despite two checks of the building, said Battalion Chief Bob Green.

One neighbor said the owner had recently been renovating the house.

As firefighters ventilated the roof and broke out windows, neighbors – including children at a day-care center – gathered to watch.

Traffic along Altamont was briefly affected.

The fire started in the bedroom and began moving up the walls into the attic before firefighters stopped it, Green said.

No one was injured.

The cause of the fire wasn’t determined Monday.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email