March 20, 2007 in Idaho

Fire destroys man’s business, home

From Staff Reports The Spokesman-Review
 

A Coeur d’Alene man tried to extinguish a Sunday afternoon fire that ultimately devastated his business.

Firefighters were called about 5:30 p.m. to N.W. Inland, a vinyl and leather repair business at 6685 E. Seltice.

Toby Parker put out a fire in the corner of the building with a garden hose but didn’t realize fire was still burning in the attic, according to a Kootenai County Fire and Rescue news release.

A Kootenai County Sheriff’s deputy spotted the fire and called firefighters. Parker tried again to put out the fire but was pulled back by the deputy.

Hot woodstove ashes in a cardboard box was the cause, fire officials said.

Parker’s housing, food and clothing also were destroyed. The American Red Cross is assisting him.

Parker has no insurance, although the building itself was insured by his landlord.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus