No. 3 Memphis holds off Connecticut
Chris Douglas-Roberts scored a career-high 33 points and No. 3 Memphis, after racing out to a big early lead, held on to beat Connecticut 81-70 Friday night in the championship game of the 2K Sports College Hoops Classic in New York.
Freshman sensation Derrick Rose added a career-high 24 points for the Tigers (4-0), who opened an early 15-point lead but found themselves trailing by one at the half. Rose looked every bit the first-year player running the point, though, turning the ball over five times without an assist.
A.J. Price scored 23 to lead Connecticut (3-1), often playing much bigger than his 6-foot-2 frame. He routinely threw himself among the Memphis forwards, slicing through the lane to help the Huskies rally in the first half and stay close after the break.
Memphis forward Joey Dorsey, who aggravated a shoulder injury in a semifinal win over Oklahoma, played sparingly in the first half and finished with four points and 12 rebounds.
(7) Tennessee 89, Prairie View A&M 75: At Knoxville, Tenn., Tyler Smith scored 15 points and Chris Lofton added 14 as the Volunteers (3-0) beat the Panthers (1-2) in the second round of the StubHub Legends Classic tournament.
Ryan Childress added a season-high 14 points and Ramar Smith had 10 for Tennessee, which advanced to the semifinals against West Virginia Friday.
(16) Texas 73, UC Davis 42: At Austin, Texas, A.J. Abrams scored 21 points to lead the Longhorns (2-0) to the victory over the Aggies (1-2).
D.J. Augustin had 10 points and 11 assists for the Longhorns and Connor Atchley scored 11 points.
Providence 67, (18) Arkansas 51: At San Juan, Puerto Rico, Brian McKenzie and Geoffrey McDermott combined for 33 points and 13 rebounds to lead the Friars (2-0) to a win over the Razorbacks (2-1).
(3) Maryland 75, (23) Notre Dame 59: At College Park, Md., Laura Harper had 17 points and 13 rebounds and the Terrapins (4-0) tied a school record with 12 3-pointers in a rout of the Fighting Irish (2-1) that thrust Maryland into the championship game of the Preseason WNIT.
Kristi Toliver scored 25 points for Maryland, which will play fourth-ranked LSU on Sunday for the title.
(6) Rutgers 62, Creighton 43: At Piscataway, N.J., Epiphanny Prince scored eight of her 12 points during a pivotal second-half run to help the Scarlet Knights (1-1) beat the Blue Jays (1-1).
(7) North Carolina 92, Coppin State 63: At Chapel Hill, N.C., reserve Jessica Breland scored a career-high 19 points to lead the Tar Heel (4-0) past the Eagles (2-2).
(8) Georgia 57, Temple 51: At Athens, Ga., Ashley Houts had 12 points and six assists, and the Bulldogs (4-0) held the Owls (1-1) scoreless the final 4:41 to secure the victory.