A motor home fire Friday night was likely caused by arson, authorities say.
Spokane firefighters rescued a man living in the 1976 motor home near the intersection of Morton Street and Queen Avenue. But the rig was a total loss.
The fire started about 9:20 p.m., according to a Spokane Fire press release. Investigators found a melted gas can outside the motor home, leading them to suspect arson.
– Amy Cannata
Smoke prompts evacuation
Residents of a three-story apartment and commercial building at 15061/2 N. Monroe St. were evacuated early Saturday when smoke filled the top two stories.
Spokane firefighters arrived shortly before 3:30 a.m. to find the smoky conditions. They requested that Spokane Transit Authority bring a bus to the scene to hold the building’s tenants as firefighters worked to discover the cause of the smoke.
According to a news release, firefighters found a pan of burned food on the burner of a stove in a second floor apartment. It had been left unattended by the tenant, who was not in the building at the time.
Other residents waited in the bus until the smoke was cleared.
– Amy Cannata
GU seeks food donations
Gonzaga University is seeking donations for the hunger-relief organization Campus Kitchen, which hopes to deliver 500 Thanksgiving dinners to low-income Spokane residents.
A $10 donation provides dinner for a homebound senior, while $50 is enough to serve a complete Thanksgiving meal to a family of four. Donations can be made through PayPal at www.campuskitchens.org/ donate. Donors can specify whether their money goes to the GU chapter of Campus Kitchen or goes to the organization’s national fund.
– Staff reports
Tripod fire logging proposed
Between environmental concerns and insect damage to fire-killed trees, there’s not going to be much logging on 175,000 acres of the Okanogan National Forest that burned in 2006.
The U.S. Forest Service has proposed logging about 1,284 acres. The cut should yield about 3.7 million board feet of timber.
More than half of the area burned is within roadless and undeveloped portions of the forest.
The fire also burned important habitat for Canada lynx, an important drainage for threatened bull trout and areas within the North Cascades grizzly bear recovery area.
All of that would limit access for loggers, even if there was more value in the blackened spruce and lodgepole pine, said Becki Lockett Heath, forest supervisor.
The so-called Tripod fire started on July 24, 2006, and wasn’t declared controlled until Dec. 1 of that year.
– Dan Hansen