A 2-year-old girl and her 4-year-old sister were apparently drowned in a bathtub Monday, and their mother was arrested, police said.
A man who said he is the girls’ father told investigators the woman called him at work and said their children “are at peace,” said Cleveland police Lt. Thomas Stacho.
The man, 23-year-old Jamie Cintron, told police he went to the woman’s apartment and pulled the girls from the water in the bathtub.
Police arrested the 22-year-old woman for questioning at her apartment, where she would not answer questions apart from her name, age and address, Stacho said. No charges had been filed, but she remained in jail Monday night.
Remote-controlled toys on watch list
Airport screeners will be taking a closer look at remote- controlled toys in carry-on luggage due to concerns they could be used to detonate bombs, U.S. officials said Monday.
The new practice is a result of reviewing recent intelligence, but isn’t based on any specific threat, according to the Transportation Security Administration.
Passengers – including children – carrying the toys on airplanes may have to go through secondary screening.
Authorities recently arrested two Florida engineering students and accused one of them of posting a video online with instructions on how to use a remote-controlled toy to set off a bomb.
In the video – which has been taken off the Web – one of the suspects speaks in Arabic and “shows how a remote-control toy vehicle is constructed and operated, and gives instructions as to the range and distance the remote will operate,” according to the FBI.
Presidents’ hold on papers tapered
Presidents don’t have indefinite veto power over which records are made public after they’ve left office, a federal judge ruled Monday.
In a narrowly crafted ruling, U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly invalidated part of President Bush’s 2001 executive order, which allowed former presidents and vice presidents to review executive records before they are released under the Freedom of Information Act.
By law, the National Archives has the final say over the release of presidential records, and Kollar-Kotelly ruled that Bush’s executive order “effectively eliminates” that discretion. It allows former presidents to delay the release of records “presumably indefinitely,” she said.
The judge ordered the National Archives not to withhold any more documents based on that section of the executive order.
Spokeswoman Emily Lawrimore said the White House was reviewing the opinion and considering its options.