August 23, 2008 in Nation/World

Boeing threatens to drop out of competition for new tanker

By Les Blumenthal McClatchy
 

WASHINGTON – Boeing’s chief executive, James McNerney, told a top Pentagon official this week that his company might not compete for a $35 billion contract to build Air Force refueling tankers unless it gets an additional four months to prepare a bid.

Accompanied by James Albaugh, head of Boeing’s defense unit, McNerney met face to face with Deputy Defense Secretary Gordon England for a half hour on Thursday at the Pentagon, Rep. Norm Dicks, D-Wash., said Friday. Industry and defense sources confirmed the meeting. England is the department’s second-ranking official, behind only Defense Secretary Robert Gates.

The meeting came as the Defense Department prepared to issue a final request for proposals next week on the tanker contract. Boeing said a version released several weeks ago favored a European aerospace company and its American partner.

A team composed of Northrop Grumman and the European Aeronautic Defense and Space Co. won the initial competition, but Boeing protested and the Pentagon decided to seek new bids on a fast-track schedule. Bids are due in early October and the contract is scheduled to be awarded by the end of the year.

“Basically they told England there had been so many changes in the request for proposal that they couldn’t compete,” Dicks said of the message McNerney and Albaugh delivered to the Pentagon. “I think they feel they didn’t have any choice.”

Dicks said it normally takes a year for a company to develop a bid on a project like the tanker.

Boeing said the draft request for proposals in the new competition favored the larger tanker offered by Northrop-EADS based on a Airbus A330 airframe currently assembled in France.

The current time schedule for the new competition is so tight that Boeing said it wouldn’t be able to offer a bigger tanker. Its current offering is based on a 767 airframe built in Everett, Wash., and converted to tankers in Wichita, Kan. Boeing could offer a larger tanker, perhaps based on a 777, but the company said it would take six months to put a new bid together.

“Make no mistake, this is a different competition for a different airplane, and Boeing needs sufficient time to prepare a competitive proposal,” said Dan Beck, a Boeing spokesman. “If we don’t get more time, there is little option but for us not to bid.”

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus