“You people really don’t have any clue yet of the true heinousness of what I’ve done.”
– Convicted killer Joseph Duncan, in his closing comments to the Boise jury deciding whether he should be executed for the torture and murder of 9-year-old Dylan Groene.
“I’ll have to have my staff get to you.”
– Republican presidential candidate John McCain, unable to answer an inquiry about how many houses he and his heiress wife own.
“We cannot be made whole from our loss. You can’t buy time, because that’s what it’s going to take for these trees to (grow) back to what they were.”
Homeowner Toby Rodrigues, one of the landowners who has arranged to have loggers harvest trees on his Dishman Hills area property because of damage caused by the Valleyview fire.
“To some people it might seem like it’s going slow. They want to come up with all kinds of theories and philosophies. Reality is, it can only happen as it can happen. It includes financing, it includes appetite from retailers.”
– Developer Marshall Chesrown, whose Kendall Yards project on the north bank of the Spokane River is behind schedule.
“The ideal thing would be if all nonprofit boards would learn from the sad experiences of those who are victimized. In most cases, they don’t learn until they’re burned.”
– The Rev. Paul Bodin, president of the board of directors of Meals on Wheels, where two former employees are accused of stealing more than $80,000.
“He goes under the bridges, on the street, connecting with people that others have forgotten.”
– Jennifer Martin, homeless coordinator for Spokane Neighborhood Action Programs, recognizing more than 20 years of service by social services worker Bob Peeler to help find housing for the community’s needy residents.
“This is an airplane that’s going to be in the inventory 40 years. What we’re asking for is an additional four months to have a meaningful competition.”
Jim Albaugh , head of Boeing’s defense unit, saying that unless the Pentagon allows his company six months to formulate a new bid, the aircraft maker may withdraw from competition for a $40 billion contract to build the Air Force’s next generation of refueling tankers.
“For me, avoiding something is acting out of fear. And I don’t face anything that way.”
– Seattle Mariner Raul Ibanez, about the American League baseball team’s chances of becoming the first team in major league history to lose 100 games in a season during which it paid salaries totaling more than $100 million.