With more snow coming and warmer temperatures expected Sunday, Avista officials are suggesting residents be prepared for possible power outages.
The increased moisture due to 30-plus-degree temperatures could cause frozen, snow-laden trees and branches to fall and hit power lines, said Avista spokeswoman Debbie Simock.
The utility company has the following suggestions for customers:
• Have an emergency preparedness kit with items such as a flashlight and fresh batteries, a battery-powered radio, candles and holders, matches and manual can opener
• Make sure smoke alarms and CO2 detectors have fresh batteries
• Identify the operating requirements of gas equipment
• Have a full-charged cell phone or land-line telephone. Cordless phones will not work without electricity.
• Fill containers with water and add to a refrigerator or freezer that is not full. This will help food stay cool longer.
If your power goes out, check to see if your neighbors’ power is out before calling,” Simock said.
To report an outage, call: (800) 227-9187.