February 25, 2008 in Nation/World

Nation in brief: Greyhound flips, injuring dozens

The Spokesman-Review

A Greyhound bus flipped over in an interstate median early Sunday, injuring 41 people.

All 41 were taken to hospitals, and two were stable Sunday night at Community Medical Center in Scranton, a hospital official said.

The others were treated and released, state police said.

The bus was traveling north on Interstate 380 about 100 miles north of Philadelphia when it rolled over about 4:15 a.m. in Covington Township, according to State Police. The cause was under investigation.


5 family members found dead

A 14-year-old boy was the lone survivor of an apparent murder-suicide that left five family members, including three children, dead across the street from the Richard Nixon Library.

A neighbor dialed 911 late Saturday to report shots fired. Two minutes later, the teen told police that his father had shot him and his brother at their condo complex in Yorba Linda, about 40 miles southeast of Los Angeles.

Police found five people dead of gunshot wounds. The teen’s mother was discovered on the doorstep, said Lt. Jack Conklin of the Brea Police Department, which was investigating.

The victims were identified as Orland Cho, 41; Maricel Cho, 39; Nicole Cho, 9; Kathleen Cho, 8; and Christopher Cho, 5. Authorities believe the teen, Ian Mercado, was the woman’s son from a previous relationship.

Mercado was shot in the lower torso and underwent surgery at a hospital. He was expected to survive.


11th person dies after refinery blast

Another burn patient has died of injuries suffered in an explosion and fire at a sugar refinery, bringing the death toll to 11, officials said Sunday.

Two weeks after the blast at the Imperial Sugar plant in Port Wentworth, 12 others remain in critical condition at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Doctors Hospital in Augusta. Two are in serious condition.

A patient, whose name was not released, died Saturday evening, said Beth Frits of the Burn Center.

The explosion was fueled by airborne sugar dust at the refinery, near Savannah, investigators have said. They have not yet determined what ignited it.


Dog returns home weeks after storm

Every day since a tornado damaged the Harrises’ home and their dog’s pen, the family has checked to see whether Pongo made it back.

On Friday, nearly three weeks after the storm, the 9-year-old basset hound and blue heeler mix was there, hungry but healthy.

“He poked his head out of the dog house,” said Tim Harris, husband of Pongo’s owner, Katresa Harris. “He was running; he was so excited to see her.”

Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email