Nation/World


Dozens detained as India bomb toll rises

AHMADABAD, India – An obscure Islamic militant group warning of “the terror of Death” claimed responsibility for bombings that killed at least 45 people, and authorities stepped up security Sunday after India’s second series of blasts in two days.

The city’s police commissioner, O.P. Mathur, said 30 people had been detained for questioning, but there was scant information about the Indian Mujahideen, the little-known group that took credit for the bombings in western India.

“In the name of Allah the Indian Mujahideen strike again! Do whatever you can, within 5 minutes from now, feel the terror of Death!” said an e-mail the group sent to several television stations minutes before the blasts.

State government spokesman Jaynarayan Vyas said 45 people were killed and 161 wounded when at least 16 bombs went off Saturday.

Investigators in Surat, about 160 miles south of Ahmadabad, found a car carrying detonators and a liquid police suspect may be ammonium nitrate, a chemical often used in explosive devices, city police Chief R.M.S. Brar said.


 

Click here to comment on this story »




Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(509) 747-4422
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile