Sam Young had 21 points and 12 rebounds, and hit a pair of free throws with less than a minute left in overtime to help Pittsburgh beat No. 13 Louisville 76-69 Thursday night and advance to the semifinals of the Big East tournament at New York.
The seventh-seeded Panthers (24-9) outscored Louisville 12-2 to start the overtime, and their 74-64 lead with 30.9 seconds left was their biggest of the game.
Pittsburgh, which has knocked Louisville out of three straight conference tournaments, advanced to play No. 6 seed Marquette today.
DeJuan Blair added 16 points and eight rebounds for Pittsburgh.
Earl Clark scored 19 for Louisville (24-8).
(2) Memphis 75, Tulane 56: At Memphis, Tenn., Chris Douglas-Roberts scored 17 points, and the Tigers (30-1) advanced to the semifinals of the Conference USA tournament by routing the Green Wave (17-15).
Memphis, the two-time defending tourney champ, will play Southern Mississippi tonight.
(9) Georgetown 82, Villanova 63: At New York, Jessie Sapp scored 23 points and the Hoyas (25-5) tied a Big East tournament record with 17 3-pointers, fending off a second-half comeback to beat the Wildcats (20-12) in the second round.
Jonathan Wallace hit five 3s and had 19 of his 20 points in the first half for the defending champion Hoyas (25-5), who advance to play No. 5 seed West Virginia in the semifinals today.
(10) Xavier 74, Dayton 65: At Atlantic City, N.J., Josh Duncan scored 16 points and the Musketeers (27-5) limited the Flyers (21-10) to five baskets in the final 12 minutes for a victory in the quarterfinals of the Atlantic 10 Conference tournament.
The top-seeded Musketeers advanced to play St. Joseph’s in today’s semifinals.
(25) Marquette 89, (14) Notre Dame 79: At New York, Jerel McNeal scored a career-high 28 points and the Golden Eagles (24-8) beat the Fighting Irish (24-7) in the quarterfinals of the Big East tournament.
Kyle McAlarney had 20 points for Notre Dame.
West Virginia 78, (15) Connecticut 72: At New York, Joe Alexander scored a career-high 34 points and the Mountaineers (25-7) beat the Huskies (24-8) in the quarterfinals of the Big East tourney and advanced to play top-seed Georgetown tonight.
A.J. Price had 22 points for the Huskies.
(18) Vanderbilt 93, Auburn 82: At Atlanta, A.J. Ogilvy scored a career-best 27 points and Shan Foster added 26, leading the Commodores (26-6) past the Tigers (14-16) in the opening round of the Southeastern Conference tournament.
The Commodores shot 67 percent (33 of 49) from the field, falling just short of the tourney record. They advanced to face Arkansas in the quarterfinals today.
(24) BYU 89, Colorado State 62: At Las Vegas, five Cougars scored in double figures in a rout of the Rams (7-25) in the semifinals of the Mountain West Conference tournament.
The Cougars (26-6) were led by Lee Cummard, the conference’s co-player of the year.