March 19, 2008 in Nation/World

Boeing says tanker bid process not fair, open

Joelle Tessler Associated Press
 

WASHINGTON – Boeing Co. said Air Force officials tilted the playing field in a $35 billion tanker contract competition toward Northrop Grumman Corp. and European Aeronautic Defence and Space Co.

In a formal protest of the contract made public on Tuesday, Boeing said the Air Force “repeatedly made fundamental but often unstated changes to the bid requirements and evaluation process” to keep the Northrop Grumman/EADS proposal alive.

The release of the executive summary of the protest is Boeing’s latest public relations salvo in its attempt to overturn the Air Force award of the tanker deal to the Northrop/EADS team. Doing so won’t be easy – a fact Boeing acknowledged Tuesday.

Mark McGraw, manager of Boeing’s tanker program, said reversing the Air Force’s decision will be “an uphill battle,” but he’s confident the company will prevail.

Last week, the Chicago-based company filed its protest with the Government Accountability Office, which has 100 days from the date of the filing to rule. In the protest, Boeing maintains that the Air Force review “was not a fair and open competition, but a skewed process that unfairly compromised Boeing’s proposal.”

Boeing has also turned to several of its existing lobbying firms, including Denny Miller Associates and Gephardt Group, to press its case. And on Monday, Boeing said its tanker could have saved $30 billion in fuel bills over 40 years.

Northrop Grumman, too, has gone on the offensive.

Northrop has hired former Sens. Trent Lott, R-Miss., and John Breaux, D-La. to keep the contract where the Air Force first put it on Feb. 29.

© Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email