“We were so excited to perform for them because they were so excited to watch us. It works both ways.”
– World champion figure skater Kimmie Meissner, saying fans like those in Everett for 2008 Skate America and Spokane for the 2007 National Championships treat the performers like rock stars.
“He doesn’t want the father to be the only one who benefits.”
– Lawyer Charles Conrad, explaining why defendant Marvin Markham encouraged his daughter and Conrad’s client, Nicole Alexander, to join her ex-husband’s wrongful death suit against Markham, who was driving the boat in an accident that killed Alexander’s 13-year-old son.
“I’m just amazed that if they’re going to check someone in, why they don’t check them out, but that’s not for me to criticize.”
– Benewah County Coroner Ron Hodge, after a patron was discovered dead of a heart attack in a Plummer, Idaho, fitness center where he had checked in the previous evening.
“I hope that our decision stands, and I hope that his time on death row is limited.”
– Jury foreman Chris Robbins, saying he hopes any appeals filed on behalf of convicted murderer, kidnapper and child molester Joseph Duncan will be dispensed with promptly.
“This is America. Does it matter how much we bought it for?”
– West Plains property owner John Condon Jr., who, in a deal meant to protect Fairchild Air Force Base from encroachment, received $600,000 from Spokane County for property he bought seven years earlier for $65,000.
“He’s made a lot of disparaging comments about a lot of individuals, including me, and that is the environment into which he will return.”
– Washington State University President Elson Floyd, when asked about the prospect that fired Provost Steven Hoch would remain at WSU as a $245,455-a-year tenured professor, as allowed by his contract.
“This country is being run into the ground by corporate bullies; we’re in the middle of a corporate crime wave.”
– Independent presidential candidate Ralph Nader, saying in Boise that the United States should pay for the recent $700 billion economic bailout bill by imposing a tax on derivative transactions.
“The current description of who can’t vote is an impossible group to define.”
– Washington state Elections Director Nick Handy, calling for more legislative guidance for tracking felons who haven’t fulfilled the obligations to have their voting rights reinstated since being released from prison.
“The best case that can be made for Senator Obama’s foreign policy is the fact that the alternative to his approach is Senator McCain’s.”
– The libertarian Cato Institute’s associate director of foreign policy studies, Justin Logan, making a lesser-of-two-evils assessment of which presidential candidate’s approach to Iraq would be most likely to improve on the Bush administration’s.