Arrow-right Camera

Nation/World

Hurricane prompts stations to pull back convention coverage

Mon., Sept. 1, 2008

ST. PAUL, Minn. – Television networks and national cable news outlets on Sunday shifted their top talent and reporters from the Republican National Convention to the Gulf region to prepare for Hurricane Gustav’s landfall.

That means John McCain and his campaign will not receive the uninterrupted attention that Barack Obama did last week.

News executives said they had no choice but to follow the potentially damaging events in the South.

“I don’t even look at it as a matter of fairness,” said Jay Wallace, vice president of news editorial product at Fox News. “The prevailing story right now is this storm.”

NBC’s Brian Williams and ABC’s Charles Gibson flew to New Orleans from New York on Sunday morning, and CBS’s Katie Couric jetted from her convention post in St. Paul.

Fox News’ Shepard Smith also traveled to the storm region, and CNN’s Anderson Cooper was already in place.


 

Click here to comment on this story »