September 15, 2008 in Nation/World

Karzai aide says attack a setup

No Taliban killed in U.S. bombing
By JASON STRAZIUSO Associated Press
 

Bombs kill doctors, children

 KABUL, Afghanistan – A suicide bomber struck a United Nations convoy Sunday in southern Afghanistan, killing two Afghan doctors and their driver.

 The doctors, working under contract to the U.N.’s World Health Organization, were en route to provide polio vaccinations for children in the Spin Boldak district near Pakistan. Polio is endemic along the Afghan-Pakistani frontier, one of few places in the world where the disease is still present.

 Separately, at least six children were killed while playing with what Afghan authorities said was a roadside bomb planted by the Taliban and aimed at foreign troops.

Los Angeles Times

KABUL, Afghanistan – An American bombing that killed up to 90 Afghan civilians last month was based on false information provided by a rival tribe and did not kill a single Taliban fighter, the president’s spokesman said Sunday.

The claim contradicted a U.S. contention that the Aug. 22 raid on the western village of Azizabad killed up to 35 Taliban fighters.

“There was total misinformation fed to the coalition forces,” said Humayun Hamidzada, spokesman for President Hamid Karzai.

Afghan police arrested three suspects accused of giving the U.S. military false intelligence that led to the bombardment, the Interior Ministry has said.

An Afghan government commission found that up to 90 civilians were killed, including 60 children, a finding backed by a preliminary U.N. report.

The operation, conducted by U.S. Special Forces and Afghan soldiers, targeted Afghan employees of a British security firm and their family members – the reason the U.S. military recovered weapons after the battle, Hamidzada said.

The U.S. has said its forces were fired on first during a raid that targeted and killed a known militant commander named Mullah Sidiq. But villagers say their homes were targeted because of false information provided by a rival tribesman named Nader Tawakil.

“Not a single Talib was killed,” Hamidzada said. “So it was a total disaster, and it made it even worse when there were denials, total denials.”

The U.S. at first said that 30 militants and no civilians were killed. A formal military investigation found that the operation killed up to 35 militants and seven civilians.

But after video images showing at least 10 dead children and up to 40 other dead villagers surfaced last week, the U.S. said it would send a one-star general from the United States to investigate the strike.

Afghanistan’s Interior Ministry said Friday three suspects had been arrested for allegedly giving false information to the American military, but it did not say who they were. Hamidzada and the Interior Ministry spokesman have also declined to say who was arrested.

A U.S. military spokeswoman did not respond to an e-mail seeking comment.

© Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus