April 29, 2009 in Sports

Fast Break: No-hitter streak ends at four

 

Prep Baseball

No-hitter streak ends at four

A Florida high school pitcher came up short in his bid to throw a fifth straight no-hit game.

Mitchell High School ace Patrick Schuster had put together a string of four no-hitters going into Tuesday’s district tournament game, and had worked through the first two innings before allowing a double to Gaither High’s Drew Doty at a high school field in Clearwater.

Mitchell was eliminated by Gaither 9-4. Schuster worked five innings, allowing five runs – three earned – and three hits. He struck out five and hit three batters.

The national record for consecutive no-hitters by a high school pitcher is six.

The last time Schuster gave up a hit was March 24.

He barely reacted after giving up the hit, walking around the mound once before getting back on the rubber as a standing-room-only crowd of more than 1,000 applauded.

In his next turn at bat, Schuster hit an RBI single to give his team a 3-2 lead.

The 6-foot-2, 170-pound pitcher is ranked as the 79th-best prospect – the 42nd-best high school prospect – in the country by Baseball America. He has signed with the University of Florida. He is expected to be a second-round pick in the June amateur draft.

Going into Tuesday’s game, Schuster had given up nine hits in 55 innings this season, and was 8-0 with 110 strikeouts.

Schuster would have become the fourth high school pitcher to throw five straight no-hitters. Two players have thrown six in a row.

Men’s basketball

Vandals sign Texas guard

Guard Landon Tatum has signed a letter of intent to play at Idaho.

Tatum is a guard who was the only player to start all 31 games last season for a South Plains College (Texas) team that finished with a 27-4 overall record. He averaged 7.1 points and 5.8 assists per game and was the team’s leader in minutes played. He is a 2007 graduate of O’Connor High School in Helotes, Texas.

Arena football

AF2 owner: Vick offer ‘mistake’

The owner of a minor league football team that offered Michael Vick a contract told a newspaper he didn’t know about the publicity stunt and would not have approved it.

“I’m a dog lover and I don’t want anything to do with (Vick),” Albany (N.Y.) Firebirds owner Walter Robb told The Times Union for a story posted on its Web site.

Earlier in the day, the arenafootball2 franchise announced it had offered the 28-year-old quarterback a one-year contract at the league standard: $200 a week plus a $50 bonus for a win.

“That’s a joke,” Robb said. “I think (the offer) was a big mistake.”

The announcement was later pulled from the team’s Web site.

Associated Press Associated Press

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus