Voices

Tourney benefits Good Sam

LIBERTY LAKE – The Good Samaritan Society of Spokane Valley, 17121 E. Eighth Ave., will host the 13th annual Good Sam Scramble Golf Tournament Aug. 21 at Meadowwood Golf Course in Liberty Lake. Registration is at 11 a.m., and the tournament will begin with a shotgun start at 1 p.m.

The event includes a hole-in-one giveaway, featuring a new golf cart and dinner for six at Outback Steakhouse, door prizes and raffles.

Proceeds will benefit the “Residents are the Reason” benevolent fund, to support senior residents of the Good Samaritan Society retirement community.

Cost is $85 per person or $340 per team and includes 18 holes of golf, cart rental, and food after the game.

For more information, call (509) 924-6161.

U-Hi grad awarded Fulbright Award

SPOKANE VALLEY – Harrison Grafos, a 1998 University High School graduate, was recently awarded the Fulbright Award to go to Germany for the 2009-’10 academic year.

Grafos is a student at the University of Pittsburgh, where he is enrolled in the Ph.D. program in the Graduate School of Public and International Affairs.

He is the son of Dean and Elizabeth Grafos of Spokane Valley.

Information sought about two fires

Spokane Valley –

A fire Monday was reported about 6 a.m. in a basement bedroom of a home at 13302 E. Broadway Ave. Fire Marshal Kevin Miller said the bedroom sustained heavy smoke and fire damage, and the rest of the house also was damaged by smoke.

The home was supposed to be unoccupied, but neighbors said trespassers had been staying there at night. Miller said the neighbors reported seeing a small, red sport utility vehicle leave the home about 20 minutes before the fire broke out. A similar vehicle had been seen parked across the street at the Central Valley School District’s Barker Center.

Arson was blamed for a fire Monday, about 6:20 a.m. at the Eagle Rock Apartments, 12423 E. Mansfield Ave. Miller said someone pushed burning material through the mail slot at the apartment complex office. Two tenants knocked the fire down by shooting extinguishers through the mail slot, and firefighters broke down the door to make sure the fire hadn’t spread.

The apartments are located in an area that has been plagued by arsons – in trees and brush, in trash bins and in cars – since spring.

Miller asked anyone with information about that fire or the one in the vacant house on Broadway to call the fire department at (509) 928-1700 or Crime Check at (509) 456-2233.



Click here to comment on this story »







Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile