August 21, 2009 in City

Air conditioner burns home

By The Spokesman-Review
 

A faulty portable air conditioner was blamed for a fire this morning that damaged a home in northeast Spokane.

A neighbor attempted to extinguish the 2 a.m. blaze with a garden hose. Fire officials said the effort helped minimize damage, but that the neighbor had risked being injured by using the relatively small stream of water to fight an intense fire.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze quickly with their larger hoses, leaving the house at 923 E. Walton Ave. mostly with smoke damage and some fire damage near the air conditioning unit, which had been plugged into an extension cord. Fire officials said they recommend not using an extension cord for air conditioners, which draw larger amounts of electricity.

Two adults at the home were not injured, but had breathed some of the smoke, firefighters said.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus