Authorities say toxic gas may have leaked at INL
IDAHO FALLS, Idaho — Officials with the Idaho National Laboratory say emergency workers are responding to a report of a possible toxic gas leak.
The report came after a cylinder containing a non-radiological material was dropped at the Materials and Fuels Complex late Tuesday morning.
A press release from the laboratory said that the cylinder was suspected to contain a toxic gas that can cause irritation and damage to skin, eyes or lungs and that employees had been evacuated to areas at least 220 yards away. Employees who were near the cylinder are being given medical evaluations, according to a prepared statement from INL, and a hazardous materials team was monitoring air samples at the site.
Officials at INL’s Joint Information Center said there were not believed to be any injuries from the suspected leak.
© Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.