December 8, 2009 in City

Crews battle fires in north Spokane County

By The Spokesman-Review
 

Firefighters from Spokane County Fire Protection District No. 4 have been battling flames and cold in a series of blazes across the northern portion of the county since Monday night.

Two manufactured homes, a travel trailer and a flower shop were damaged or destroyed in the string of fires.

Pat Humphries, public information officer for the district, said cold weather may have contributed to the fires by increasing demand on electrical circuits for heat and power.

At 5 a.m. today, firefighters responded to a fire apparently caused by a space heater on an enclosed porch attached to a manufactured home at 24324 N. Elk-Chattaroy Road. The fire was contained to the porch.

A fire was reported in another manufactured home at 8:30 a.m. at 27509 N. Spotted Road in the Deer Park area where a heat lamp used to keep pets warm apparently ignited the blaze.

Firefighters were called to a burning travel trailer that was surrounded by vehicles at 11 p.m. Monday at 21912 N. Travis Road near Mount Spokane. Electrical malfunction may have caused the fire, Humphries said.

Melo’s D Flowers at 12 W. Crawford in Deer Park had damage to the attic in a 5:30 p.m. fire on Monday. Electrical wiring is being examined in the search for a cause, he said.

Humphries said the cold can cause hoses to ice up, and the ground to become treacherous from freezing water. Also, firefighters are stressed by the contrast of moving between a hot and steamy fire environment and the frigid outdoor air. No injuries were reported to firefighters.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email