Local news

Fire cancels classes at Glover Middle School

An electrical fire at Glover Middle School today cancelled classes and forced students to evacuate.

Students were bussed to the gym at Shadle Park High School, where parents can pick them up. Security officers are stationed on Longfellow, according to Spokane Public Schools.

Parents aren’t required to pick students up; they’ll be fed at the high school and will be bused back to Glover at 3 p.m. to pick up their belongings.

The small fire was discovered this morning in an electrical box inside of a closet in a math class, said school district spokeswoman Terren Roloff. Students and teachers smelled the fire and saw smoke coming from the closet, Roloff said, adding that the fire was quickly extinguished.

“It really wasn’t even a fire,” she said, explaining that it was the smoke that created the most problems.

The middle school will reopen Thursday.



There is one comment on this story »







Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile