Arrow-right Camera

Spokane

Valley man killed after clothes catch fire

Mon., Dec. 21, 2009, 9:56 a.m.

A 78-year-old Spokane Valley man was killed Sunday after his clothing caught fire from a propane radiant heater.

On Monday, the Spokane County Medical Examiner identified the victim as Adolph Borth.

Firefighters said his clothing had burned off and he was found lying in the yard at 18305 E. Liberty Ave. about 2:35 p.m.

The man’s son reported that his father was working on his car in a garage at the residence, and when the son went to check on the man, the son found him in the backyard and not responsive.

Fire officials said the man may have backed into or leaned on a radiant heater. He apparently tried to take off the burning clothing, and succeeded in removing his coat, but was also wearing cover-alls and other layers beneath the coat, which also caught fire, fficials said.

A cause of death was pending with the medical examiner Monday afternoon.

Assistant Fire Marshal Bill Clifford said there should be at least a 36-inch clearance of combustibles around propane radiant heaters.


 
Tags: Accident

There are two comments on this story »