February 1, 2009 in City

Pets retrieved from North Side house fire

From staff reports
 

Spokane fire crews were expected to stay overnight at the scene of a house fire on West Jackson Avenue that started with a loud explosion about 5 p.m. on Saturday.

The fire at 914 W. Jackson Ave., near North Monroe Street, started in the basement, according to a fire dispatch notice posted at 5:21 p.m. Saturday.

Twelve fire units responded to the scene, according to a fire department spokesman.

The fire spread from the basement, and firefighters had to cut holes in the roof. No people were home when the fire broke out, but two dogs, an iguana and a tortoise were removed from the house.

It’s standard protocol for fire crews to remain all night at a major house fire, according to the department spokesman.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus