Arrow-right Camera
News >  Spokane

In brief: DUI patrols made dozens of arrests

Police on the lookout for drunken drivers over Super Bowl weekend arrested 35 people suspected of driving under the influence in the Spokane and Coeur d’Alene areas.

State troopers also reported a fatal crash and another crash that injured two children, and they say both involved alcohol.

At 7:55 p.m., Anthony Dennison, 38, of Fruitland, died after his 1980 Subaru Brat struck a guardrail while rounding a curve on Highway 25 in Stevens County. He was thrown from the car along with a passenger, Jason Marquez, 32, of Maple Valley, Wash., who was taken to a hospital. Neither was wearing a seat belt.

At 9:55 p.m., Daryl Toulou, 45, of Wilbur, was northbound on Highway 21 in Adams County when his car left the roadway over a steep embankment. Two children, ages 9 and 2, were injured in the crash, according to the WSP, and Toulou was charged with vehicular assault.

Kootenai County

Sexual predators living in area

Two violent sexual predators are living in North Idaho, according to the Kootenai County Sheriff’s Department.

Ricky Lee Milks, 43, is living in the 3300 block of Hudlow Road in Hayden, authorities said. Milks was convicted of lewd and lascivious conduct in 1990.

Ronald W. Hendrickson, 70, is living in the 800 block of North Tucson Street in Post Falls, police said. He was convicted of indecent liberties in 1984.


Heater blamed for fire in shed

A man suffered burns to his hands and face when a kerosene heater ignited gas vapors from a motorcycle he was working on inside a shed in Spokane. The fire destroyed the storage building at 1206 S. F St., according to the Spokane Fire Department.

Crews responding to the fire about 6:50 p.m. found the shed engulfed in flames and threatening a nearby home, according to a news release.

Firefighters contained the blaze to the shed and found a man inside the home who’d suffered second-degree burns to his hands and first-degree burns to his face.

He was treated by fire paramedics and taken by ambulance to Deaconess Medical Center, where he was expected to survive, according to the Fire Department.

From staff reports