February 24, 2009 in City

Firefighters investigating gas leak near school

By The Spokesman-Review
 
Spokane Fire Department photo

A strong natural gas odor was detected this morning at Whitman Elementary School, where the Spokane Fire Department has responded. School staff have donned Spokane Fire Department vests and are helping direct children arriving at the school onto warm buses until the building is confirmed safe.
(Full-size photo)

Spokane firefighters are investigating a strong natural gas odor near Whitman Elementary School in northeast Spokane.

The odor was detected in the area about 7:20 this morning, fire officials said. Tests were taken twice inside the school to make sure there was no natural gas, and students were allowed back into the building shortly after 9 a.m., when school was scheduled to start.

Staff and students were sheltered on buses while waiting.

Firefighters will continue to search the neighborhood for the origin of the gas leak, said Spokane Fire Assistant Chief Brian Schaeffer.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email