Local news

Firefighters investigating gas leak near school

A strong natural gas odor was detected this morning at Whitman Elementary School, where the Spokane Fire Department has responded. School staff have donned Spokane Fire Department vests and are helping direct children arriving at the school onto warm buses until the building is confirmed safe. (Spokane Fire Department)
A strong natural gas odor was detected this morning at Whitman Elementary School, where the Spokane Fire Department has responded. School staff have donned Spokane Fire Department vests and are helping direct children arriving at the school onto warm buses until the building is confirmed safe. (Spokane Fire Department)

Spokane firefighters are investigating a strong natural gas odor near Whitman Elementary School in northeast Spokane.

The odor was detected in the area about 7:20 this morning, fire officials said. Tests were taken twice inside the school to make sure there was no natural gas, and students were allowed back into the building shortly after 9 a.m., when school was scheduled to start.

Staff and students were sheltered on buses while waiting.

Firefighters will continue to search the neighborhood for the origin of the gas leak, said Spokane Fire Assistant Chief Brian Schaeffer.



Click here to comment on this story »






Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile