July 4, 2009 in City

Fire razes property

Woman injured; officials believe son, 4, started blaze
By The Spokesman-Review
 
Dan Pelle photo

A Spokane firefighter from Station 15 squeezes through a second-floor window to gain position to spray hot spots on the home on Friday. The house was engulfed when firefighters arrived.
(Full-size photo)(All photos)

How to help

Richard Honnold, who rented the home to Tawnia Embree, has set up a fund to assist her family. Donations can be made at any Banner Bank location.

A 4-year-old playing with a lighter probably started a fire Friday morning that seriously injured his mother and destroyed their east Spokane home, a fire official said.

The woman, Tawnia Embree, woke up in a bedroom and saw smoke and felt intense heat, said Assistant Chief Brian Schaeffer, of the Spokane Fire Department.

The 29-year-old told fire investigators that she called out to her son, who had fled the home. Embree suffered burns and smoke inhalation as she escaped, Schaeffer said.

Embree was in serious condition Friday evening at Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center.

Roberta Taufen, Embree’s sister, said her nephew did not appear to have suffered serious injuries, but he was expected to spend the night in the hospital for observation.

Schaeffer stressed that sources of fire should be kept out of reach of children. “They’re in that age … when curiosity rules,” Schaeffer said. “In this case, the consequences almost were lethal. We’re pretty lucky she’s still alive.”

Firefighters were called to the home at 5408 E. Commerce Ave. about 8:40 a.m., Schaeffer said.

Embree, who manages a downtown Spokane Tesoro 2Go station, moved into the house a few weeks ago, said Richard Honnold, who rented the home to Embree.

Rocky Mattmiller, who was visiting a home across the street, said by the time he and neighbors realized the house was on fire, Embree had already emerged. “Her face was covered with soot,” he said. “The whole front of the house was in flames.”

Neighbors assisted Embree until firefighters arrived and began treatment.

Crews received conflicting reports about other family members, and they searched the burning home four times until a Spokane police chaplain confirmed that Embree’s daughter was staying with her grandmother at the time of the fire, said Battalion Chief Craig Cornelius.

Honnold said a passer-by saved the family’s dog, a pug named Maggie. Taufen said a longhaired Siamese cat, Maui, was missing.

The residence, which the county valued at about $79,000 not including the land, is a total loss, firefighters said. The structure, built in 1913, was insured. But Embree, a single mother, did not have renter’s insurance. “She lost everything,” Honnold said.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email