Local news

Blaze at residential hotel damages 10 rooms

Residents of about 25 rooms of an Airway Heights residential hotel were relocated to other rooms after a fire broke out early Thursday morning.

The fire started in an electrical room in one wing of the Airway Express Inn at 3809 S. Geiger Blvd., said Nick Scharff, chief of Spokane County Fire District 10. About 40 firefighters responded to the call, which came in around 4:40 a.m. No one was injured.

Scharff said fire and smoke damage was limited to about 10 rooms, but the power was blown in the entire wing. The hotel has several wings, and each has its own electrical room.

“It could be days, if not weeks, to get the power restored there,” Scharff said.

The American Red Cross is at the hotel assisting the displaced residents.



Click here to comment on this story »



Saving for the future

sponsored According to two 2015 surveys, 62 percent of Americans do not have enough savings to handle an unexpected emergency, much less any long-term plans.



Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile