July 9, 2009 in City

Woman in house fire: ‘I was just burning’


Four days after she was badly burned in a massive house fire, a Spokane woman is talking about her terrifying ordeal.

Firefighters say the July 3 fire on East Commerce was caused by a boy playing with a lighter, whom Tawnia Embree identified as her son.

The night of the fire, Embree says she woke up and could not see and heard what she thought was ‘crackling.’ She remembers getting up and realizing it was smokey and hot.

“I got up and saw all the flames coming from the living room,” says Embree, “and you know, just called for Gage.

To read the entire story, go to KHQ.com.

Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email