July 20, 2009 in City

Kitchen fire evacuates 6 adults, 4 children

By The Spokesman-Review
 
Map of this story's location

A kitchen fire damaged a duplex dwelling in northeast Spokane early this morning, forcing the evacuation of the six adults and four children who lived there.

Spokane firefighters said that hot grease in a pan was left unattended in the kitchen at 1423 E. Sanson Ave. and caught fire about 2:55 a.m.

Six fire trucks with 21 firefighters responded to the call. Firefighters were able to quickly knock down the blaze with water from one of their smaller hoses. Portions of the kitchen ceiling were removed to ensure that the fire had not spread into the structural framework above the stove, firefighters said.

Damage was estimated at $15,000. One of the occupants inhaled smoke from the fire, but declined to go to the hospital for treatment. No other injuries were reported.

The home did not have a working smoke detector, but residents were alerted to the fire before it became deadly, fire officials said. Fire officials encourage residents to make sure they have a smoke detector.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email