June 8, 2009 in City

Acapulco shootout leaves 18 dead

Reports link gunmen to drug-trafficking gang
Ken Ellingwood Los Angeles Times
 
Associated Press photo

A soldier holds position during a gunfight in Acapulco, Mexico, on Saturday. Sixteen gunmen and two soldiers died in the fighting.
(Full-size photo)

MEXICO CITY – As if Mexican tourism needed more bad news, a weekend shootout left 18 gunmen and soldiers dead in Acapulco, the iconic if faded beach resort that recently has been working on a comeback.

The hours-long gunfight Saturday night took place in a seaside neighborhood of homes and cut-rate hotels that is mainly frequented by Mexicans and sits several miles from the main strip of tourist complexes. Some guests reportedly were evacuated from nearby hotels, but no tourists were known to have been caught in the crossfire.

The specter of Mexico’s drug war spilling into one of the country’s best-known resort spots is a fresh blow to a tourism industry that has been hit hard by a flu outbreak and previous worries about escalating drug-related violence.

The shootout area offers scenic views and was once favored by Hollywood stars such as 1950s “Tarzan” actor Johnny Weissmuller, who co-owned the Los Flamingos Hotel with John Wayne.

Gunfire could be heard some distance away at the Hotel Paraiso.

“Yes, there was fear on the part of some guests, because even though the shooting was not close to our facilities, shots could be heard. And you could see a lot of movement of soldiers,” hotel spokesman Ruben Morales said. “That frightened people who live here, and tourists, of course.”

The gunbattle began after army officials received an anonymous tip, according to a military statement. Troops came under fire when they arrived at a house in the western section of the resort city, the Mexican army said Sunday in a statement.

The army said 16 gunmen and two soldiers died during the gunfight. Some Mexican media reports said the gunmen belonged to the Beltran Leyva drug-trafficking gang, based in the northwestern state of Sinaloa, but the reports could not be immediately confirmed.

Soldiers later recovered 49 rifles and handguns, 13 grenades and two grenade launchers, the army said. The cache held more than 3,000 rounds of ammunition.

Media accounts said a Mexican army colonel escorted reporters to the house after the shootout. Inside were four handcuffed police officers from the Guerrero state police who said they had been kidnapped, the Associated Press reported. The colonel, who wore a mask and spoke on condition of anonymity, said the army had not confirmed their account.

The Acapulco area has seen scattered drug-related violence, although it is not a key battleground in the Mexican government’s war against drug cartels. But coastal Guerrero state is a well-used route for smuggling illegal drugs from South America north toward their U.S. market and has been the scene of regular clashes among rival drug traffickers.

Mexico’s tourism promoters have sought to allay fears by arguing that despite frequent killings in hot spots along the U.S. border, the country’s main resorts are safe. They also have offered hotel discounts to lure travelers back after the flu outbreak.

Tourism has taken a beating following the outbreak in late April of the H1N1 flu virus that shut down much of the country for weeks and scared off many would-be visitors. Tourism Minister Rodolfo Elizondo said the flu-based downturn could cost Mexico 100,000 jobs and $4 billion this year.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email