Arrow-right Camera
News >  Spokane

Machete victim: ‘I thought I was going to die’

It took more than a hundred stitches to mend the wounds.

The blade took a chunk out of his hair, sliced his face from his left ear to his jaw and shattered a bone in his left wrist.

The injuries were the work of an apparently mentally ill man with a machete who approached 18-year-old Eddie Ramsey and his friends without provocation on Wednesday, Spokane police say.

“Maybe it was just the way I was looking at him, because he scared the hell out of us,” Ramsey said.

The suspect, Douglas W. Harmon, 49, was due in Spokane County Superior Court today but the appearance was rescheduled to Friday.

“Mr. Harmon is having some issues in the jail,” said Judge Ellen Kalama Clark.

Harmon is being held on two counts of first-degree assault, accused of hacking Ramsey with the machete during a bizarre confrontation outside Harmon’s apartment in the 200 block of W. 6th Avenue, southeast of downtown Spokane.

Police used a Taser on Harmon after a short standoff. Hours earlier, a woman found Harmon in her car acting strange and neighbors called a mental health helpline, the woman told local news stations.

Spokane Mental Health CEO David Panken said he couldn’t comment on a specific case but said callers are urged to call 911 if they see an immediate threat.

Ramsey and his girlfriend, Janelle Kay, a 17-year-old high school student, were sitting with two friends when Harmon approached about 10 a.m., Ramsey said.

Clutching the machete, Harmon asked the girl who Nadine was then looked at Ramsey and called him the “mean one,” Kay said.

Harmon lunged at Ramsey, cutting his head and breaking his wrist, Ramsey said.

“I thought I was going to die,” Ramsey said. “By the time I got down the street, my whole hand, I couldn’t feel it.”

Ramsey was released from Deaconess Medical Center late Wednesday with stitches, a cast, and a left index finger that requires reconstructive surgery, he said.

Top stories in Spokane

At last battle of Deep Creek re-enactment, Union and Confederacy return to Gettysburg

UPDATED: 10:08 p.m.

updated  With the thunderous crack of a cannon and the sulfurous pop of a musket, the Battle of Gettysburg was on. The Union soldiers, clad in various shades of blue, moved slowly up the hill to the tune of artillery fire drowning out a lonely trio of musicians playing the songs of war. Beneath them and occupying a small meadow, Confederate infantry men and women fired in unison to their superior’s command, each snap bringing a flurry of gun powder dancing in the air.