March 14, 2009 in Nation/World

Shooter convicted of six murders

 
Associated Press photo

Dale Hausner, left, looks at his lawyer, Ken Everett, in court Friday in Phoenix.
(Full-size photo)

A former janitor was convicted Friday of murdering six people and attacking 19 others in dozens of random nighttime shootings of pedestrians, bicyclists and animals that terrorized this desert city over a 14-month period in 2005 and 2006.

The convictions concluded the first phase of the six-month trial of Dale Shawn Hausner, the main suspect in metropolitan Phoenix’s Serial Shooter attacks. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against Hausner, whose penalty phase begins March 23.

Hausner scratched out notes and whispered to one of his attorneys as jurors delivered guilty verdicts on 80 of 86 charges against him.

“It was a good day because we took something bad off the street,” said victim Tony Long, who still has 30 shotgun pellets in his body.

Los Angeles

Two babies may go home Monday

Octuplet mother Nadya Suleman said two of her eight babies may be coming home as soon as Monday, according to her latest video blog posted on Radar Online.

Social workers from Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in Bellflower, south of Los Angeles, toured the house earlier this week, to determine whether the eight babies could live there. Officials at Kaiser, where the babies have been since their birth Jan. 26, did not comment on whether the babies would be going home.

In the video, Suleman tours her new house, describing where her 14 children would sleep. As she speaks, the walls of the empty house glitter with the camera flashes from the paparazzi stationed outside. Squinting in the glare, Suleman issued an apology to her new neighbors.

“I never wanted this,” she said. “I never thought there would be more than one baby. And I’m sorry. This is the last thing I ever wanted.”

From wire reports


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email