May 22, 2009 in City, Idaho
Memorial Day events and closures
Spokane County events
Battle of Spokane Falls – Saturday through Monday. See history in action with the cavalry, artillery, medical, infantry and civilian units putting on demonstrations that depict the military and civilian lifestyles of the 1860s. Sponsored by the Washington Civil War Association. Two battles each day. Saturday-Sunday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Monday, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Riverside State Park, Equestrian area. $7/adults, free/age 15 age younger, $20/family. (509) 879-0680.
Amelia Earhart Memorial – Saturday through Monday. Artifacts from Amelia Earhart Birthplace Museum; authors Dave Bowman and Jerry Wilson will give a presentation about Earhart daily at noon; 99’s Inc., International Organization of Women Pilots; Veterans display; Aerospace display; Tree of Remembrance; organ concerts in Heritage Chapel at 2 p.m. daily; refreshments in reception room. 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Heritage Funeral Home, Riverside Memorial Park, 508 N. Government Way. (509) 838-8900.
Antique and classic car exhibit – Saturday through Monday; free gourmet pizza Sunday and Monday. Heritage Funeral Home, Riverside Memorial Park, 508 N. Government Way. (509) 747-4029.
Memorial Day Weekend events – Saturday through Monday, Fairmount Memorial Park, 5200 W. Wellesley Ave. Local Veterans art exhibit in the Kirtland Cutter Rock Chapel; antique bicycle display in Sunset Mausoleum; Riversong presents “Salute to America,” a one-hour program of patriotic music and readings, Sunday at 2 p.m. at Sunset Chapel.
Marine Corps League Veterans Program – Monday at 11 a.m. at Iwo-Jima Memorial, Fairmount Memorial Park, 5200 W. Wellesley Ave. Presented by The Melvin M. Smith Detachment, Marine Corps League of Spokane, along with the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 51. Free admission; lunch follows for $7 at 300 W. Mission Ave. (509) 998-9031.
Community Band Concert – Sunday, 6 p.m., Greenwood Memorial Terrace, Cross of Inspiration. 211 N. Government Way. Bring lawn chairs or blankets. Free ice cream bar at concert. (509) 747-4029.
Veterans Cemetery Groundbreaking – Monday, 1 p.m., north of West Medical Lake off West Espanola Road. First state veterans cemetery. Parking along Ritchey Road. Call for ADA arrangements. (509) 496-0796.
Veterans ceremony – Monday, 10 a.m., Spokane Memorial Gardens, 5909 S. Cheney-Spokane Road, Cheney. Free. Presented by Greater Spokane Elks No. 228. (509) 747-4029.
Memorial Day Ceremony – Monday, noon, Thornhill Ceremony, 1400 S. Pines Road, Spokane Valley.
Kootenai County events
For more information: (208) 772-2792 or (208) 292-2314.
Memorial Day celebrations:
• 9 a.m., Fourth Street bell in Veterans Park, hosted by VFW 889.
• 10 a.m., St. Thomas Cemetery on East Sherman Avenue, hosted by VFW 889.
• 11 a.m., Forest Cemetery in Coeur d’Alene, hosted by VFW 889.
• 11 a.m., American Legion Post 143 will hold services at Evergreen Cemetery, 2834 N. Spokane St., Post Falls.
• 11:30 a.m., American Legion Kootenai Post 14 will present the colors give presentation and perform flag-folding ceremony at Creekside Inn, on Kathleen Avenue between Government Way and Fourth Street.
• 12 p.m., American Legion Post 14 will present the colors at Fairwinds Coeur d’Alene, 2340 Seltice Way. Honor Guard will present colors at Beehive Homes, 2100 E. Sherman Ave.
• 2 p.m., ceremonies at Coeur d’Alene Memorial gardens, 7315 N. Government Way, hosted by Pappy Boyington Detachment 966 Marine Corps League.
• 3 p.m., local observance of National Moment of Remembrance.