November 20, 2009 in Idaho

Timberlake High evacuated after gas leak in water heater

The Spokesman-Review
 

Students evacuated this morning from Timberlake High School in Spirit Lake likely will be allowed back into the building by 9 a.m., said Lakeland School District business manager Tom Taggart.

The school was evacuated before 8 a.m. after students and faculty smelled gas, and firefighters recommended the action, Taggart said. Fire alarms were set off and the building was emptied. Arriving students on buses were kept at Timberlake Junior High, where evacuated students also were sent, Taggart said.

The cause of the smell has been determined to be gas leaking from a water heater. Maintainence and Avista workers are fixing the problem, Taggart said.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus