Thanksgiving services, meals planned
The week is all about giving thanks at greater Spokane Valley churches, as many host special worship services or gather together for a meal.
• The Episcopal Church of the Resurrection will host the 35th annual Tri-Parish Thanksgiving worship service and dinner at 4:30 p.m. on Sunday together with the congregations of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church and St. Mary’s Catholic Church. Money and food donations collected during the service will be given to the Valley Food Bank. The church is at 15319 E. Eighth Ave.
• A Thanksgiving worship service will begin at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Zion Lutheran Church, 8304 E. Buckeye Ave. Those attending are invited to bring a dessert to share during a social following the service. Donations of nonperishable food items are also being sought for Christmas food boxes.
• Foothills Community Church, 11102 N. Forker Road, will host a Thanksgiving service at 7 p.m. Wednesday.
• A free community Thanksgiving dinner will be served at 1 p.m. Thursday at Christ Lutheran Church, 13009 E. Broadway Ave. The traditional meal with turkey and all the trimmings is open to all.
• Football fans can head to Opportunity Presbyterian Church on Thanksgiving Day for football watching, games and a potluck dinner. The church at 202 N. Pines Road will open at noon Thursday for football and games and the meal will begin at 4 p.m. Those planning to attend are asked to call the church office at (509) 924-9750 to RSVP.
• Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 2511 S. Pines Road, will have a Thanksgiving service at 6 p.m. Wednesday.
Pianist and songwriter Gary Reems will be the guest worship leader at the 10 a.m. service Sunday at New Life Church, 10920 E. Sprague Ave. His musical background includes gospel and jazz and he has released several CDs. His latest is titled “Measureless.”