Local news

Gas leak causes evacuation

Firefighters evacuated a Spokane tavern and closed a portion of Broadway Avenue late Friday after a car hit a natural gas meter, causing a leak.

About 20 people were in the Broadway Bar and Grill, 1811 W. Broadway, when one of them called 911 at 10:21 p.m. to report the odor of natural gas, said Battalion Chief Dan Brown, of the Spokane Fire Department.

Firefighters were able to shut off the gas after the evacuation.

Whoever hit the meter at the back of the building didn’t stick around, Brown said. “It was essentially a hit and run.”



Click here to comment on this story »



Where does the money go?

sponsored You’ve probably heard of co-ops: food co-ops, childcare co-ops, housing co-ops, energy co-ops.



Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile