Fires that kept Spokane crews busy Friday were all accidental blazes.
A fire that destroyed the South Hill home at 614 E. Seventh Ave. started when sparks from a fireplace spread into the house, fire investigators said Saturday.
Combustible items near the fireplace ignited and the flames quickly spread through the house. Fire officials estimated the loss at $200,000.
Crews also battled a blaze at an apartment, 1508 N. Post St., on Friday that started when items left too close to a wall heater caught fire, investigators determined.
A third fire, at 1429 E. 14th Ave., had a similar cause, when items on the stove caught fire. The blaze was contained to the kitchen but there was smoke damage throughout the home.
Investigators estimated the loss at about $5,000.
Firefighters also were called to an oil spill Friday after 100 gallons of furnace fuel leaked inside a home at 1317 E. Rich Ave.
The hazardous materials team helped contain the spill and turned cleanup over to a private company.
The cost of cleaning up the fuel oil and damage to the home were estimated at $20,000.
Police investigate shooting at apartments in Valley
Spokane Valley police are investigating an early Saturday shooting that left a 21-year-old man with non-life-threatening gunshot wounds.
The victim was taken to a downtown hospital, where he was in stable condition, according to a news release from the city of Spokane Valley.
Police say neighbors began calling 911 at 2:24 a.m. Saturday to report hearing several gunshots from Apartment 1 at the San Franciscan Apartments, 12204 E. Fourth Ave.
Witness estimates of the number of shots fired ranged from two to 10. Investigators found three 9 mm bullet casings at the scene.
No other details about the shooting were available.
Detectives were interviewing witnesses Saturday and were not sure of a motive for the gunplay.
No weapon has been found.
Anyone with information about the shooting can call Crime Check at (509) 456-2233.