October 27, 2009 in City

Broadway at Pines reopens after fire

A second fire erupts on Park Road
The Spokesman-Review
 
Map of this story's location

Two structure fires in Spokane Valley had firefighters scrambling Tuesday morning.

The first fire call a 9:42 a.m. involved a second-floor apartment at 11910 E. Broadway Ave.

The blaze blew out a glass door to the master bedroom, and closed Broadway Avenue for nearly two hours.

A grandmother and her son were home at the time of the blaze, and the grandmother suffered minor smoke inhalation after she went back in to find her dog, said Capt. Jeff Bordwell, with the Spokane Valley Fire Department.

At 11:41 a.m., firefighters were called to 3522 N. Park Road, after a basement fire had gotten into the attic. The fire was spotted by the owner as she arrived home, officials said.

Three families were displaced in the morning fires, and are being assisted by the American Red Cross. The cause of both fires is under investigation.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email