October 28, 2009 in City

Man saves Spokane Valley family from house fire

The Spokesman-Review
 
Spokane Valley Fire Department photo

A chimney fire ripped through the roof of the home at 8407 E. Knox Ave. just after 4 a.m. on Oct. 28, 2009, displacing three adults and two children and causing more than $200,000 in damage.
(Full-size photo)(All photos)

A man on his way to work this morning alerted a family to a house fire that could have killed them, according to the Spokane Valley Fire Department.

The chimney fire ripped through the roof of the home at 8407 E. Knox Ave. just after 4 a.m., displacing three adults and two children and causing more than $200,000 in damage. The family was asleep when the man knocked on the door.

“The occupants stated they did not hear the smoke alarms and it was unknown if the alarms were functional,” the Fire Department said. “Without assistance from this citizen the outcome could have been much worse; lives could have been lost.”

The Red Cross is helping the family.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus