September 14, 2009 in Nation/World

Civilian worker killed on U.S. base

Associated Press
 

BAGHDAD – A civilian contractor was shot and killed Sunday on an American military base in the Iraqi city of Tikrit and a U.S. soldier has been detained in connection with the incident, the military said.

The contractor was shot at 8:30 a.m. at Camp Speicher, the military said in a statement.

Houston-based KBR confirmed the man killed was one of its employees, 27-year-old Lucas Vinson from Louisiana. No hometown was available.

“As the Army is leading the investigation of the incident, KBR is not providing further comment at this time,” spokeswoman Heather Browne said in an e-mailed statement.

“We are of course fully cooperating with the Army on its continued investigation.”

Maj. Derrick Cheng, a public affairs officer, said a soldier had been detained in connection with the incident, but that he could not divulge any more information while the investigation is ongoing.

“We offer our sincere condolences to the family of the individual,” he said.

The U.S. military makes wide use of contractors in Iraq for security, technical support and supply functions.

KBR is the primary support contractor in Iraq, providing troops with essential services, including housing, meals, mail delivery and laundry.

As of June 30, 1,395 civilian employees of U.S. government contractors had been killed in Iraq, according to an AP count.

© Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email