Arrow-right Camera


Disabled get roads to success

Disabled hunters can get special privileges to drive through locked gates onto some forest roads that are otherwise closed to public vehicle travel.

The first step is to get the disabled sportsman permits from the Idaho Fish and Game or Washington Fish and Wildlife departments before applying or signing up for these opportunities.

•The Colville National forest offers disabled permits to several areas in the Newport, Three Rivers and Republic ranger districts, including some new areas that will be available for the first time this season.

Info: Sullivan Lake Ranger District at (509) 446-7500.

•Forest Capital Partners timber company allows disabled hunters with official authorization from the Washington Fish and Wildlife Department to drive through locked gates in two large blocks of land in Game Management Unit 121 in the Huckleberry Range in Stevens County.

Info: (509) 487-8552.

•The Coeur d’Alene National Forest is taking applications through Sept. 30 for two-day hunting access permits in three different areas during the big-game rifle hunting season starting Oct. 10. Info: (208) 783-2363.