September 19, 2009 in Washington Voices

Fire empties Denny’s

By The Spokesman-Review
 

A fire in a Denny’s restaurant men’s room was the biggest of eight structure fires reported to the Spokane Valley Fire Department in the past week.

Assistant Fire Marshal Bill Clifford said customers arriving at the restaurant at 2022 N. Argonne Road shortly before noon Wednesday saw smoke coming out of the eaves. Denny’s employees evacuated the building and called the fire department.

Clifford said firefighters determined that a malfunctioning ventilation fan had set fire to the bathroom ceiling. Damage, estimated at $5,000, was confined to that part of the building.

Also, firefighters responded to two small brush fires. One of them, at about 11 p.m. last Saturday at 1125 S. Eastern Road, was considered suspicious.

Firefighters searching the area for other fires saw people running through the woods with flashlights. They called police to help with the search but found nothing, Clifford said.

He appealed for anyone with information about the incident to call the fire department at (509) 928-1700.

Spokane Valley police asked firefighters for help shortly after 5 p.m. Tuesday when a man was injured while resisting arrest at 10618 E. Sprague Ave. The suspect had swelling and a cut above his right eye, and was taken to Valley Hospital for treatment, Clifford said.

Thirteen vehicle crashes sent 11 people to hospitals with minor to moderate injuries. A woman had to be extricated from her Ford Bronco II about 6:30 p.m. Tuesday after it was involved in a T-bone crash at Fourth Avenue and McDonald Road and rolled onto its driver side.

Both drivers were taken to a hospital with head, neck and back pain.

Clifford said firefighters responded to six hazardous-materials calls, mostly involving odors that couldn’t be traced.

There were four calls for general service, including shutting off a couple of leaking water lines. One was under an apartment sink; the other, in the vacant Albertson’s store at 10 N. Pines Road. Clifford said police discovered the grocery building leak near a water heater while investigating a reported break-in.

Firefighters also helped a 90-year-old woman with her oxygen tank and gave another woman a lift when she was unable to get into her house with her power chair.

In all, the department responded to 224 calls in the weeklong reporting period that ended Wednesday night, including 11 false alarms and 181 medical emergencies.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus