Arrow-right Camera
News >  Features >  Washington Voices

Spokane Valley crews upgrade rutted roads

Cement replaces asphalt at intersections

Drivers in Spokane Valley have probably experienced some delays in the area of Broadway Avenue and Sullivan Road, one of the busiest intersections in the area.

“The first day is always rough,” project inspector Pete Fisch said Monday.

Construction on the intersection started Monday to replace the existing rutted asphalt with cementwhich Fisch said is more durable than asphalt and should reduce the amount of maintenance the city will have to do in the future.

“It lasts three times as long as the asphalt,” Fisch said.

Workers will also upgrade the storm drain system in the area and upgrade the sidewalks to meet American Disability Act requirements.

The $1.23 million project is being funded through the Spokane Transit Authority, which will pay for 79.5 percent, and the city of Spokane Valley, which will pay for the remaining 20.5 percent.

Project Engineer Craig Aldworth expects construction to continue through the end of May if the weather holds up and if workers don’t discover any problems.

It’s the beginning of a season of large road construction projects which should last until sometime in September. The city has plans to completely shut down the intersection at Sprague Avenue and Sullivan no earlier than June 21 for three weeks to replace asphalt, upgrade the storm drains and upgrade the sidewalks to meet ADA requirements.

Crews will also begin a $2.76 million project on Broadway from Moore Road to Flora Road to widen the road from two lanes to three, add curbs, gutters, sidewalks and bicycle lanes in both directions and create a new roundabout at Flora.

Drivers should take alternate routes and have patience, Aldworth said of the construction.