Assistant Fire Marshal Bill Clifford said that during the week of April 8 to Wednesday, the Spokane Valley Fire Department responded to 192 calls. Eight of those were for structure fires and two were about illegal fires in yards.
Heavy winds played a factor in the department’s calls when four power lines blew down. Firefighters also responded when a resident called about an electrical problem in the house, which turned out to be flickering lights from downed power lines.
There was one vehicle fire, which Clifford said was a mechanical failure of the vehicle’s motor.
There was one legal backyard fire, which was originally called in as a brush fire.
The department also responded to nine building alarms.
There were 152 emergency medical service calls and two for the hazmat team – one for a strange odor and one for a possible natural gas leak. In both instances, nothing was found.
There were 16 motor vehicle accidents, including an accident Wednesday involving a Central Valley School District bus and a car. Five students and the bus driver were transported to the hospital and later released. Four others were sent to the hospital in other crashes that week, none of whom had life-threatening injuries.
The department also had three service calls: two children were locked in vehicles and one homeowner called with a problem with his furnace.
Click here to comment on this story »