Nation/World

Tearful pope promises action

Pontiff says church will better protect young

VALLETTA, Malta – With tears in his eyes, Pope Benedict XVI on Sunday made his most personal gesture yet to respond to the clerical sex abuse scandal, telling victims the church will do everything possible to protect children and bring abusive priests to justice, the Vatican said.

The emotional moment carried no new admissions from the Vatican, which has strongly rejected accusations that efforts to cover up for abusive priests were directed by the church hierarchy for decades. But the pontiff told the men that the church would “implement effective measures” to protect children, the Vatican said, without offering details.

Benedict met for more than a half-hour with eight Maltese men who say they were abused by four priests when they were boys living at a Catholic orphanage. During the meeting in the chapel at the Vatican’s embassy here, Benedict expressed his “shame and sorrow” at the pain the men and their families suffered, the Vatican said.

“Everybody was crying,” one of the men, Joseph Magro, 38, told Associated Press Television News after the meeting. “I told him my name was Joseph, and he had tears in his eyes.”

The visit – which came on the second day of Benedict’s two-day trip to this largely Roman Catholic island – marked the first time Benedict had met with abuse victims since the worldwide clerical abuse scandal engulfed the Vatican earlier this year.

“He prayed with them and assured them that the Church is doing, and will continue to do, all in its power to investigate allegations, to bring to justice those responsible for abuse and to implement effective measures designed to safeguard young people in the future,” the Vatican statement said.

Victims’ advocacy groups have demanded that the Vatican take concrete steps to protect children and remove abusive priests and the bishops who protected them, saying the pope’s expressions to date of solidarity and shame were meaningless unless actual action is taken.

The main U.S. victims group, Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests, said it was easy for Benedict to make promises about taking action to protect children.

“Not a single adult should feel relieved until strong steps are actually taken, not promised, that will prevent future child sex crimes and cover-ups,” said Peter Isely, the group’s Midwest director.

Magro said the men, in their 30s and 40s, received a call Sunday morning to come to the embassy and that the pope spent a few minutes with each of them. He said the overall encounter, which lasted about 35 minutes, was “fantastic.”

Lawrence Grech, who led efforts to arrange the encounter, said the pope told each of the men: “I am very proud of you for having come forward to tell your story.”

Benedict has been accused of being part of systematic cover-up by church hierarchy for pedophile priests.

Benedict made no direct reference to the scandals during a Mass Sunday morning. He told Maltese to cling to their faith despite the temptations of modern society.

“Many voices try to persuade us to put aside our faith in God and his church,” he warned.



Click here to comment on this story »





Blogs


Clinton, Sanders split Spokane

Here's how the votes broke down in the Democratic presidential primary in Spokane County in Tuesday night's count. Hillary Clinton is ahead of Bernie Sanders by just under 500 votes, ...


Parting Shot — 5.24.16

Next to a line of flags set out for Memorial Day, Rod Roberts, guarded by his dog Sophie, clears grass around the grave of some friends at Fairmount Memorial Park ...


Jewell: Making landscapes more resilient to fire

U.S. Interior Secretary Sally Jewell says the latest $10 million federal investment into the “Wildland Fire Resilient Landscapes Program,” which she announced during a visit to Idaho today, will make ...




Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile