Local news

Rags start fire in Valley home

Improperly stored rags sparked a fire at a Spokane Valley home on Thursday.

Firefighters believe the rags, which were used to stain benches, spontaneously combusted, causing more than $20,000 in damage to a home in the 16800 block of East 20th Court. The homeowner was treated for minor smoke inhalation.

The fire was contained to the basement, but investigators said the rest of the home suffered smoke damage.

The Spokane Valley Fire Department reminds people to leave rags for staining or varnishing wood outside or in a bucket of water.



Click here to comment on this story »



Where does the money go?

sponsored You’ve probably heard of co-ops: food co-ops, childcare co-ops, housing co-ops, energy co-ops.



Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile