The Interplayers Professional Theatre’s 2010-2011 season includes a noteworthy event: Patty Duke directing “The Miracle Worker.”
You might call it the completion of a circle for Duke, who lives in Coeur d’Alene.
She became an instant star at age 12 when she originated the role of Helen Keller in “The Miracle Worker” on Broadway. In 1962, she reprised the role for the movies – and won an Oscar at age 15.
Now, Duke, one of the last surviving cast members, will direct Interplayers’ version of the William Gibson play. It’s on the schedule for May 5-21, 2011.
Here’s the full Interplayers lineup:
• “Together Again for the Next Time,” artistic director Reed McColm’s follow-up to his well-received family comedy “Together Again for the First Time,” Sept. 9-25.
• “The 39 Steps,” adapted from the Hitchcock suspense classic, Oct. 14-30.
• “Honky Tonk Angels Holiday Spectacular,” a country music revue, Nov. 24-Dec. 11.
• “Opus,” a drama about classical music by Michael Hollinger, Jan. 20-Feb. 5.
• “Privilege,” a Paul Weitz comedy about two New York teens, Feb. 17-March 12.
• “Cotton Patch Gospel,” Harry Chapin’s folk musical retelling the Gospels, March 31-April 16.
• “The Miracle Worker,” May 5-21, 2011.
One note of caution: The rights for some of these shows are still pending. As we’ve seen in previous seasons, the lineup might change. Call (509) 455-PLAY for season subscriptions.
Bereta and the Colonel
When I first saw KFC’s new national TV ad for the Double Down Sandwich, I did a double-take.
Yes, that was indeed Joe Bereta, part of the wildly popular YouTube comedy team from Spokane, Barats and Bereta.
He landed a gig as the guy who says, “Finally. Someone was listening.”
When not appearing in national commercials, Bereta and Luke Barats are developing a comedy pilot and a live tour. They’re working down in L.A. these days.
A ‘Spring Awakening’ switch
The upcoming Spokane stop by the national tour of the Tony-winning “Spring Awakening” has been switched from Dec. 1 to Jan. 19.
The tour was re-routed, necessitating the change. Best of Broadway season ticket holders will automatically receive replacement tickets in the mail.
Knitting ticket change
Tickets for Spokane’s Knitting Factory are now being sold through a new online outlet: TicketFly.
You can get tickets for all shows there through www.ticketfly.com or by calling (877) 4-FLYTIX.
Previously, Knitting Factory shows were sold through TicketsWest outlets.
So, to recap the area’s ticket situation:
• The Gorge shows are sold through Ticketmaster.
• The Knitting Factory shows will now be sold through TicketFly.
• And nearly everything else will continue to sell through TicketsWest.
Jewish film fest
The Spokane Jewish Film Festival continues today and Monday with these Israeli films:
• “A Matter of Size,” a comedy about four guys who take up sumo wrestling. Today, 5 p.m.
• “For My Father,” a drama about the unlikely romance between a potential suicide bomber and one of the people he was planning to kill. Monday, 7:30 p.m.
Showings are at Gonzaga University School of Law, 721 N. Cincinnati St., and are presented by Spokane Area Jewish Family Services.
Tickets are $8 for adults, $6 for students, available at the door.
The Maryhill lineup
The Maryhill Winery Amphitheater in Goldendale, Wash., has announced its summer outdoor concert schedule: Train on July 10; Lyle Lovett on July 17; Jackson Browne with David Lindley on July 31; Natalie Merchant on Aug. 7; and Earth, Wind and Fire on Aug. 28.
All shows are at 7 p.m.
Tickets are on sale through Ticketmaster.com.
Yeah, it’s 252 miles away, but you can combine it with a trip to the Oregon Coast.
Here's the latest flier opposing state Rep. Luke Malek, R-Coeur d'Alene, from Wayne Hoffman's Boise-based 501c4 Idaho Freedom Action. It arrived in today's mail. You can see the back side ...
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2b/Scenicruiser_Greyhound.jpg I'm thinking of the setting, but I suppose you could address yourself to the classic bus. Well, how about this? http://www.gngoat.org/ad_5.jpg
Fly Fishing Expo in Coeur d’Alene OUTCAST – Free workshops, casting lessons, fly tying and activities for all ages will be featured at the 2016 Coeur d’Alene Fly Fishing Expo ...
Just in time for Mother's Day, the Peregrine Fund reports that two chicks hatched in a Peregrine falcon nesting box high atop a downtown Boise office building yesterday. Thus far, ...
sponsored Any victim of identity theft, fire, or flood will be glad for the time taken in advance to file and store critical records.